[Haskell-cafe] Building gtkhs, OpenSolaris x86

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Fri Oct 3 19:18:08 EDT 2008

On 2008 Oct 3, at 16:08, Lally Singh wrote:
>  I know it seems an obtuse OS to build on, but trust me, it's pretty
> nice despite the hassles.
>
>  I'm getting these three errors (repeated a few times) while building
> gtkhs-0.9.13 on ghc 6.8.3, and was hoping for any suggestions on where
> to go from here:
>
> tools/c2hs/base/general/Map.hs:16:7:
>    Could not find module `Data.Map':
>      it is a member of package containers-0.1.0.2, which is hidden
> tools/c2hs/base/errors/Errors.hs:44:0:
>    Failed to load interface for `Position':
>      Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.
> glib/System/Glib.hs:13:0:
>    Failed to load interface for `System.Glib.UTFString':
>      Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.

The first error is the real one; the others happen because the gtk2hs
makefile doesn't properly abort when a sub-build fails.  (This is
probably a bash-ism:  setting -e aborts the current iteration of a
loop, not the entire script/fragment containing the loop.  Supposedly
POSIX mandates this braindamage.  I'm dubious.)

I have no idea what's causing the first one, though; normally it means
something is missing from a Cabal configuration file, but last I
checked gtk2hs didn't use Cabal and I don't see an obvious candidate
in our gtk2hs 0.9.13 source tree.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu