[Haskell-cafe] mysql (hsql-mysql-1.7) on Linux with GHC 8.3 - cabal issues

Anton Tayanovskyy anton.tayanovskyy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 17:14:18 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 6:39 PM, Duncan Coutts
<duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> The problem here really is that HSQL has no maintainer and has not been
> updated for about two years if my memory serves me correctly. Some
> distros, Fedora, Gentoo etc have patched HSQL to keep it working with
> ghc-6.8.

I see. True, it was updated Apr 9, 2007. Well, it's a pity that
neither Hackage nor the Haskell wiki mentions those patches.

> The answer is to find someone to maintain it, take over maintenance
> yourself or switch to another lib like hdbc or takusen.

Hmm.. That's too bad. AFAIK hdbc and takusen do not have native MySQL
backends. Last time I tried working with MySQL through ODBC on Linux
it was quite slow to connect, compared to the native backend. Taking
over myself is out of question, it is beyond me. So by elimination
I'll have to find someone!

--A