[Haskell-cafe] mysql (hsql-mysql-1.7) on Linux with GHC 8.3 - cabal issues

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Oct 2 11:39:34 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 17:37 +0300, Anton Tayanovskyy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I had some difficulty building hsql and hsql-mysql (native driver)
> packages under GHC 8.3 on Fedora 9. Namely, they do not install with
> cabal install, because of a few API changes. Is this considered all
> right as GHC 8.3 is still experimental, or should the packages be
> updated? If so, can somebody please do it. I love when things just
> work with cabal install!

The problem here really is that HSQL has no maintainer and has not been
updated for about two years if my memory serves me correctly. Some
distros, Fedora, Gentoo etc have patched HSQL to keep it working with
ghc-6.8.

The answer is to find someone to maintain it, take over maintenance
yourself or switch to another lib like hdbc or takusen.

Duncan