[Haskell-cafe] cabal upgrade

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 17:17:41 EDT 2008

On 2008.10.01 13:24:55 -0700, Martin DeMello <martindemello at gmail.com> scribbled 0.9K characters:
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yi fails on Alex because Cabal doesn't track executables, nor executables needed for installation. You want 'cabal install alex yi';
>
> Yay, that finally worked :) Had to add ~/.cabal/bin to my path first,
> which wasn't hard to figure out but should probably also be in a faq
> somewhere.

The exact issue of where to install executables is somewhat tricky; adding ~/.cabal/bin is one option, but you could've used --prefix=/home/martin/ or you could've used the symlink option in ~/.cabal/config or... There's not really a Cabal-install FAQ for that because there's no clear answer.

> > I believe the FAQ covers this.
>
> Nope. I was following http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Yi when I got
> stuck, and the page makes no mention of how to resolve the alex
> dependency
>
> > As for cabal install yi-gtk, unless things have changed since I last looked, the answer is Don't Do That. yi-gtk and yi-vty are solely for yi 0.3 and below - it's obsolete, in other words. Yi depends directly on vty (which cabal install will handle) and GTK2HS, which unfortunately is not on Hackage and so you or your distro has to handle that.
>
> Okay, thanks :)
>
> martin

I've added those 2 questions to the installation section. They've come up so often I was sure they were already there.

--
gwern
monarchist DCJFTF EADA SASSTIXS Kamumaruha Waihopai phones Colonel IA wideband