[Haskell-cafe] cabal upgrade

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 16:06:59 EDT 2008

On 2008.10.01 12:52:47 -0700, Martin DeMello <martindemello at gmail.com> scribbled 1.2K characters:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 9:01 PM, Duncan Coutts
> <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 01:59 +0200, Cetin Sert wrote:
> >> A reminder:
> >>
> >> When I wanted to upgrade to yi 0.4.6.2, I needed to download the new
> >> package list
> >>
> >> cabal update           #download list of new packages
> >> cabal upgrade         #make any upgrades
> >
> > Note that 'cabal upgrade' upgrades everything you've currently got
> > installed (which in general is not necessarily possible).
> >
> > The standard workflow is just:
> >
> > cabal update            #download list of new packages
> > cabal install yi        #install latest version of yi
>
> $ cabal install yi
> Resolving dependencies...
> 'yi-0.4.6.2' is cached.
> Configuring yi-0.4.6.2...
> cabal: alex version >=2.0.1 && <3 is required but it could not be found.
> yi-0.4.6.2 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
> exit: ExitFailure 1
>
> $ cabal install yi-gtk
> Resolving dependencies...
> cabal: cannot configure yi-gtk-0.2.1. It requires sourceview >=0.9.11
> There is no available version of sourceview that satisfies >=0.9.11
>
> Trying cabal upgrade didn't fix it - it still throws the same error.
>
> martin

Yi fails on Alex because Cabal doesn't track executables, nor executables needed for installation. You want 'cabal install alex yi'; I believe the FAQ covers this.

As for cabal install yi-gtk, unless things have changed since I last looked, the answer is Don't Do That. yi-gtk and yi-vty are solely for yi 0.3 and below - it's obsolete, in other words. Yi depends directly on vty (which cabal install will handle) and GTK2HS, which unfortunately is not on Hackage and so you or your distro has to handle that.

--
gwern
beef Croatian Waco, Mace H