[Haskell-cafe] Re: Health effects

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 1 15:56:07 EDT 2008

Benjamin L.Russell wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 19:54:17 +0200, Adrian Neumann
> <aneumann at inf.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>

>> I often wonder how many cuts you need to divide a steak in n pieces.
>> You can obviously get n pieces with (sqrt n) cuts by cutting a grid.
>> But I'm sure some smart mathematician thought of a (log n) way.
>>

> Good thing that the chocolate slab was only 2 kg and of finite length.
> Had it been of infinite length, we would need Dedekind cuts to
> partition it.... ;)

You know, it's interesting... I posted this in another forum, and people
just said "dude, why would you try to eat a whole 2 Kg of chocolate?
That's really unhealthy." I post the same thing here and now people are
arguing about Dedekind cuts... da HELL?! o_O

An interesting dichotomy of perspectives, don't you think?