[Haskell-cafe] cabal upgrade

Malcolm Wallace malcolm.wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Wed Oct 1 03:58:53 EDT 2008

>> When I wanted to upgrade to yi 0.4.6.2, I needed to download the new
>> package list
>>
>> cabal update           #download list of new packages
>> cabal upgrade         #make any upgrades

I never knew there was a 'cabal update' command, and it worries me.
In my unhappy experience of packaging systems (apt/Aptitude, fink/
FinkCommander, and DarwinPorts/MacPorts) it was never obvious when it
should be necessary to run the update.  Indeed, the advice given by
each of these tools IIRC was to update every time you used it, before
doing anything else.  (So why was it a manual task then?)  On the
other hand, every one of those tools eventually failed for me on the
update step, leaving me with an inconsistent and non-working
configuration.

Regards,
     Malcolm