[Haskell-cafe] cabal upgrade

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 1 00:01:47 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 01:59 +0200, Cetin Sert wrote:
> A reminder:
> When I wanted to upgrade to yi, I needed to download the new
> package list
> cabal update           #download list of new packages
> cabal upgrade         #make any upgrades

Note that 'cabal upgrade' upgrades everything you've currently got
installed (which in general is not necessarily possible).

The standard workflow is just:

cabal update            #download list of new packages
cabal install yi        #install latest version of yi

The difference between
$ cabal install yi
$ cabal upgrade yi
is whether we try to upgrade the dependencies of yi as well or just try
to use any currently installed versions of yi's dependencies.

If anyone has some good ideas on how we can make the first step more
automatic then see ticket #359