[Haskell-cafe] IRC question

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Wed Nov 26 02:48:30 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 11:04 PM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:

> aapo:
> > Galchin, Vasili kirjoitti:
> > >Hello,
> > >
> > >  I am using Ubuntu Linux and I want to get the Haskell IRC feed. What
> > >IRC client can I use and how to configure?
> > >
> > >Thanks, Vasili

> > Pidgin uses IRC-protocol, but Xchat can be found in Synaptic which is
> > more popular client.
> >
> > In start-up screen of Xchat you have a list of servers where you search
> > Freenode or add new server (closest freenode-server for you), then join
> > new channel (F3 if I recall, or ctrl + j, or "/j #haskell" in
> > commandline of the client).
> >

> As with all good things, preferred clients are documented on the wiki,
>
>    http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/IRC_channel

Sadly none of the recommended clients are written in Haskell or extensible
in Haskell.

Two of the recommended clients on that page are ERC (an emacs client) and
irssi (highly scriptable in perl).

I used ERC for several years and developed a good deal of extension code and
customizations for it as I found things that worked and didn't work for me.
 Eventually I was forced to move to irssi due to the horrible resource usage
of ERC that plagued me despite spending considerable time debugging it.
 Being a perl illiterate, I'm always sad I can't extend my IRC client now.

Does anyone have an IRC client hiding somewhere that is console friendly (I
IRC from a screen session) which is also extensible in Haskell?

Thanks,
Jason