[Haskell-cafe] GHC 6.10.1 and cabal[-install]

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Wed Nov 19 03:27:36 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 13:56 -0800, Jason Dagit wrote:

>         Will Hackage one day provide a way to discover that one
>         package has been superceeded by another?
>
>         Currently you can see when a newer version of the exact same
>         package exists, but (for example) take a took at how many
>         gazillion database packages there are up there. Which ones are
>         active? Which ones are obsolete? How can I tell??
>
> This has come up before.  As you can see here:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/46764
>
> I think we just need someone (how about you!?) to start working on it.

It's even easier than that! Someone has done it already :-)

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/261

Thu Aug 28 16:55:16 CEST 2008  Chry Cheng <chrycheng at gmail.com>
  * Marking packages deprecated
  Fixes ticket no. 261 as discussed in its annotations.  Packages with
"deprecated" "true" are excluded from the package list.  Packages with
"superseded by" tags provide links to their superseding packages in the
package page.

The next bit is in making it easier for maintainers to set this data.

Duncan