[Haskell-cafe] What *not* to use Haskell for

ajb at spamcop.net ajb at spamcop.net
Wed Nov 12 19:40:58 EST 2008

G'day all.

Quoting Tom Hawkins <tomahawkins at gmail.com>:

> Actually, Haskell is an excellent language for hard real-time
> applications.  At Eaton we're using it for automotive powertrain
> control.  Of course, the RTS is not running in the loop.  Instead, we
> write in a DSL, which generates C code for our vehicle ECU.

Bingo!  And thanks for someone for admitting that they do this. :-)
"Hard real-time applications" is a huge area, and not all of the code
that you write is code that ends up running on the target.

Generally, in DSL/MDD-style development, not very much of the code that
you write ends up running on the target.  In some cases, _none_ of the
code you write ends up running on the target.  Haskell is almost ideal
for tasks like this.

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage