[Haskell-cafe] What *not* to use Haskell for

Tom Hawkins tomahawkins at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 17:01:19 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 5:18 AM, Jules Bean <jules at jellybean.co.uk> wrote:
> Dave Tapley wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone
>>
>> So I should clarify I'm not a troll and do "see the Haskell light". But
>> one thing I can never answer when preaching to others is "what does
>> Haskell not do well?"
>
> GHC's scheduler lacks any hard timeliness guarantees.
>
> Thus it's quite hard to use haskell in realtime or even soft-realtime
> environments.

Actually, Haskell is an excellent language for hard real-time
applications.  At Eaton we're using it for automotive powertrain
control.  Of course, the RTS is not running in the loop.  Instead, we
write in a DSL, which generates C code for our vehicle ECU.

Thanks to this great language, we traded 100K lines of Simulink for 3K
lines of Haskell.  Our current program is planned to hit the
production lines in a few months.

With similar methods, Haskell is also a great language for ASIC and FPGA design.

-Tom