[Haskell-cafe] What *not* to use Haskell for

Jules Bean jules at jellybean.co.uk
Tue Nov 11 06:18:12 EST 2008

Dave Tapley wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> So I should clarify I'm not a troll and do "see the Haskell light". But
> one thing I can never answer when preaching to others is "what does
> Haskell not do well?"
>
> Usually I'll avoid then question and explain that it is a 'complete'
> language and we do have more than enough libraries to make it useful and
> productive. But I'd be keen to know if people have any anecdotes,
> ideally ones which can subsequently be twisted into an argument for
> Haskell ;)

GHC's scheduler lacks any hard timeliness guarantees.

Thus it's quite hard to use haskell in realtime or even soft-realtime
environments.

This is probably not a fundamental problem with haskell. It's a problem
with the compiler/RTS which we happen to be using. It may be true that
it's harder to write an RTS with realtime guarantees but I doubt it's
impossible.

Jules