[Haskell-cafe] Making 'community' server our social network

Maurí­cio briqueabraque at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 2 20:43:26 EST 2008

Hi,

I've  beeing doing  something with  darcs that  is so  great that,
although I'm  sure a lot of  people are already doing  the same, I
think it would be nice to share with you. I did 'cd ~' and then:

darcs initialize
darcs add .emacs
darcs add .xmonad/xmonad.hs
darcs add .inputrc
etc.

So I'm  using darcs to keep  track of all my  configuration files,
and now I  don't need to care about reinstalling  the OS, changing
machines  from office  to home,  changing configurations  and then
realizing it was a mistake etc.

Then I  thought community.haskell.org could offer  a default darcs
repositories for all users named after their owners. For instance,
if you want to check my personal files you would do:

darcs get http://code.haskell.org/MauricioAntunes

That would allow us not only  to share our configuration, but also
share all  those small  files that  are not  "professional" enough
to  became  projects for  their  own,  but that  are  nevertheless
interesting since  we put our  good ideas there: scripts  to start
our  favorite software  or  do system  maintenance; small  Haskell
utilities  to do  some cool  math  or science  trick, stress  some
language feature  or download  our standard music  collection from
the web;  a list of favorite  sites and a related completion script
so we can list then in 'dmenu' completion; etc. etc. etc.

The next bonus  step would be to  get a list at  all users default
repository main  page of all  other users they have  granted write
access  to some  of  their  projects. Then  we  would  be able  to
navigate throw linked  lists of people with  related interests and
needs.

I think we need  no more to get what will  be MySpace, Facebook or
something else for text-driven people.  And then, of course, world
domination.  Although I  don't really  imagine any  business model
around that :)

Best,
Maurício