[Haskell-cafe] Benchmarking Framework

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Wed May 28 07:20:26 EDT 2008

"Tom Harper" <rtharper at aftereternity.co.uk> writes:

> I am in the process of writing a library for my MSc dissertation and
> would like to do some benchmarking.  In doing so I need to compare
> the time and space of my library with some other code.  Is there a
> framework for doing so in Haskell, aside from the Profiling tools in
> GHC?   Basically I'm looking for something like QuickCheck, but that
> helps with generating repeatable tests to measure performance.  Is
> there anything out there that anyone would recommend?

I've hacked around with QuickCheck to run somewhat more predictable
tests with timing results.  It's not beautiful, but if it's any help:

  http://malde.org/~ketil/biohaskell/biolib/Test/QuickBench.hs
                                           ^
(the URL up until here --------------------+ is the darcs archive,
 should you want to look at the whole thing in context)

-k