[Haskell-cafe] Re: HaXml and the XHTML 1.0 Strict DTD

Peter Gammie peteg42 at gmail.com
Mon May 26 04:57:07 EDT 2008

On 21/05/2008, at 7:40 PM, Malcolm Wallace wrote:

> Peter Gammie <peteg42 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Can you lay out some kind of plan for HaXml? (is 1.13.x now dead, is
>> 1.19.x stable, ...?) This would help for new-ish projects like mine.
>
> The 1.13.x stable branch sees minimal maintenance only, mostly to
> repair
> it to build after each new release of ghc breaks something.
>
> Versions 1.14 - 1.19 (i.e. the darcs repo) introduce several API
> changes.  I think those have now pretty-much stablised, but
> unfortunately the work to realise the benefit of those changes
> throughout the codebase is still incomplete in some places.  That is
> why
> I have not frozen and released this branch as 2.0 yet.
>
> For forward compatibility I would definitely recommend that a new
> project using HaXml should start with the 1.19 branch, not 1.13.

Thanks for your advice. Due to GHC 6.6.1 not being ByteString-
upgradable, I have been slow in using the darcs version of HaXml. I am
now using GHC 6.8.2 and so can try it out.

My earlier-reported bug for the DTD parser stands:

$ ~/bin/DtdToHaskell xhtml1-strict.dtd
DtdToHaskell: In a sequence:
   in content spec of ELEMENT decl: head
   When looking for a non-empty sequence with separators:
   	In a sequence:
     Expected % but found |
       in file xhtml1-strict.dtd  at line 252 col 50
     when looking for a content particle

   when looking for a content particle

That is the XHTML 1.0 Strict DTD from the W3.

Do you have any ideas what might have caused this? If not, I will have
a poke around. It did work fine in 1.13.3, as I remarked earlier.

cheers
peter