[Haskell-cafe] What to do when GHC works, RUNGHC fails

Alistair Bayley alistair at abayley.org
Fri May 23 08:21:38 EDT 2008

2008/5/23 Peter Verswyvelen <bf3 at telenet.be>:
> So it seems the GHCi linker is not using the metadata in the library file correctly? The libpng.dll.a library file clearly contains a reference to libpng3.dll, and I guess since GHC is using the GCC linker, this works fine, but GHCi most likely has its own linker?
>
> If this is correct, we should file a bug report?

This seems to be the same bug:

The ghci linker is a custom one (AFAIK) and is "different" from GNU
ld. That's a feature, not a bug :-) GNU ld, for example, can find
either of libxxx.dll or xxx.dll if you say -lxxx.

See this ticket for another difference between ghci and GNU ld (ghci's
linker tries to link _all_ symbols in the library archive, rather than
just the modules that you're using):

Alistair