[Haskell-cafe] Re: My experience setting up Haskell up for GUI development

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Mon May 19 04:45:11 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-05-18 at 23:09 -0400, Braden Shepherdson wrote:

> I run Vista Business 32-bit on my desktop, and I installed Gtk2Hs using
> that LSystemSetup.exe installer. I don't have a link handy, I apologize.
> That's a handy way to install with a few clicks for non-programmers.

I had no idea people were using that just to install the Gtk+ dlls.

> Then I have my users launch my app using a .bat file that adds Gtk2Hs to
> the path (this assumes they installed to the standard location, sadly)
> so they don't have to go fiddling with their PATH.

You can make it much easier for your users. The LSystemSetup.exe
installer just unpacks
http://haskell.org/gtk2hs/win32/gtk+-2.10.14-win32.zip
along with a demo .exe in the bin dir. Because the .exe is in the same
dir as the Gtk+ dlls there is no need to use a bat file or change the
path.

I used innosetup (which is Free Sofware, BSD style license).
http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php
It could hardly be easier.

I half wrote a blog post on this some time ago. Clearly I should finish
it off.

Duncan