[Haskell-cafe] Re: My experience setting up Haskell up for GUI development

Braden Shepherdson Braden.Shepherdson at gmail.com
Sun May 18 23:09:08 EDT 2008

Ben Arnold wrote:
> I'm running Windows Vista and I've been trying to set up an environment
> for writing GUI applications.
>
> <snip>
 >
> So, in practice, do other people write GUI apps with Haskell on Windows?
> And if they do, how do they do it? I feel I've got to the stage where I
> need a concrete recommendation from the experts.
>
> My installation:
>
> - Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit 6.0.6001

I run Vista Business 32-bit on my desktop, and I installed Gtk2Hs using
that LSystemSetup.exe installer. I don't have a link handy, I apologize.
That's a handy way to install with a few clicks for non-programmers.

Then I have my users launch my app using a .bat file that adds Gtk2Hs to
the path (this assumes they installed to the standard location, sadly)
so they don't have to go fiddling with their PATH.

The good news is that my app (which uses networking, threading, STM and
GTK) works with the same code (though obviously different binaries) on
Linux and Windows, using GHC 6.8.2.

I know that doesn't throw much light on your problem, but Gtk2Hs
certainly does work on Vista, and XP as well, and with 6.8.2 even.

Hope you find a solution,

Braden Shepherdson
shepheb