[Haskell-cafe] Re: Proving my point

Philippa Cowderoy flippa at flippac.org
Fri May 16 16:40:18 EDT 2008

On Fri, 16 May 2008, Philippa Cowderoy wrote:

> Confusing, isn't it? It's almost the right message, too. I'm pretty sure
> the misbehaviour's because eof doesn't consume - see what happens if you
> put an error message on all of whiteSpace?

It is indeed, and because the error merging code can't tell eof's "don't
consume" from the "don't consume" try returns when its parm fails - nor
is there any equivalent distinction in the error values. Which is to say:
it's broken, but at least I know how to fix it in the library.

flippa at flippac.org

"The reason for this is simple yet profound. Equations of the form
x = x are completely useless. All interesting equations are of the
form x = y." -- John C. Baez