[Haskell-cafe] Homework wiki page (was Re: How can I represent 4x4 map in haskell)

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 11:17:18 EDT 2008

Hi Chris,

>  The Haskell community has a reputation of being helpful and welcoming to
>  newcomers.  I'm having a hard time reconciling that with this wiki page.
>  In particular.

For those who want to follow along, its this one:
http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Homework_help

I agree. That page is pretty nasty. It looks like the person
summarised Eric Raymond's article, which is also pretty nasty. A
rewrite would be very good!

>  Let me be clear: I am not arguing that we should do people's homework for
>  them.  But I am arguing for changing the tone of the response.  I'd have
>  been rather put off if that wiki page had been my first introduction to
>  the Haskell community.

Yes. I think that we should suggest people ask homework questions to
homework authors, as they are based equipped to answer the questions
using the techniques and tools the students have been taught. But
politely, and saying why they benefit doing it the right way.

Thanks

Neil