[Haskell-cafe] Homework wiki page (was Re: How can I represent 4x4 map in haskell)

Chris Smith cdsmith at twu.net
Mon Mar 31 11:00:10 EDT 2008

This is a little off-topic, but perhaps we can have some discussion of
that Wiki page?

The Haskell community has a reputation of being helpful and welcoming to
newcomers.  I'm having a hard time reconciling that with this wiki page.
In particular.

1. The tone is generally threatening, as in: if you step over the line,
you could be reported for cheating, so don't ask for too much help.

2. There's a general RTFM attitude.

3. There's a link to Eric Raymond's insulting article at the end, which
goes on to inform people that we don't care about them, we are only here
for our personal daily fix of mental challenge, and if they can't meet
that then they've got no business wasting our time.

Let me be clear: I am not arguing that we should do people's homework for
them.  But I am arguing for changing the tone of the response.  I'd have
been rather put off if that wiki page had been my first introduction to
the Haskell community.

--
Chris Smith