[Haskell-cafe] hoisting as well as lifting and returning

Matthew Pocock matthew.pocock at ncl.ac.uk
Sun Mar 23 17:46:57 EDT 2008

Hi Yitz,

I was thinking along the lines of a class linking the monad transformer with
the base monad:

class (MonadTrans mt, Monad b) => MonadTForm mt b | mt -> b
    where
  hoist :: (Monad m) => b a -> mt m a

This is to restrict it directly between the base monad and the transformed
version. If you wish to 'adapt' any other pair of monads, then I think that's
another operation, just as lift is a different operation to hoist.

Matthew