[Haskell-cafe] build recent(ish) ghc on macos 10.3.9 powerpc?

Judah Jacobson judah.jacobson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 02:11:03 EDT 2008

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 2:04 PM, Uwe Hollerbach <uhollerbach at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi, all, I have an old iMac G3, running OSX 10.3.9, to which I have a
>  sentimental attachment. I'd like to get ghc running on it, but the
>  pre-built binaries I can find are all for more-recent iMacs, so I
>  thought I would try to build it myself. I believe I read somewhere
>  that gcc 3.3.X didn't work quite right for recent ghc -- I'm trying
>  for now to build ghc 6.6.1 -- so I started by upgrading gcc to 3.4.6.
>  That's working. So, with that in place, I went to the "porting ghc to
>  a new arch" page and started going through the steps. I'm using a
>  laptop running linux as the "host" computer, so that's
>  i386-unknown-linux, some Fedora core derivative. It's using gcc 3.4.4.

It looks like ghc 6.4.1 had an installer package for 10.3.9; does that
work for you?
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_641.html

I think that the current version of ghc is supposed to be buildable
with 6.4, so you might be able to bootstrap 6.6 or 6.8 that way,
without going through the whole porting process.  Let us know if you
run into problems with it.

Hope that helps,
-Judah