[Haskell-cafe] build recent(ish) ghc on macos 10.3.9 powerpc?

Uwe Hollerbach uhollerbach at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 17:04:55 EDT 2008

[Augh! gmail won't send! Apologies if this shows up more than once...]

Hi, all, I have an old iMac G3, running OSX 10.3.9, to which I have a
sentimental attachment. I'd like to get ghc running on it, but the
pre-built binaries I can find are all for more-recent iMacs, so I
thought I would try to build it myself. I believe I read somewhere
that gcc 3.3.X didn't work quite right for recent ghc -- I'm trying
for now to build ghc 6.6.1 -- so I started by upgrading gcc to 3.4.6.
That's working. So, with that in place, I went to the "porting ghc to
a new arch" page and started going through the steps. I'm using a
laptop running linux as the "host" computer, so that's
i386-unknown-linux, some Fedora core derivative. It's using gcc 3.4.4.

I think I did all the initial stuff right, but in the section in the
porting guide where it says to start diving into all the
subdirectories and do a bunch of "make boot && make", I start getting
errors, and by the time it says to do that in .../libraries, it just
croaks.

Did I miss something earlier? Is this a completely hopeless endeavor
from the get-go? I'm not even sure what intermediate files or error
messages I should post. Any hints appreciated!. If you want to tell
me, "Uwe, you're a bozo", that's fine, too, and you could well be
right, just tell me why... Thanks!

Uwe