[Haskell-cafe] Re: (flawed?) benchmark : sort

Dan Weston westondan at imageworks.com
Mon Mar 10 17:01:53 EDT 2008

If x <= y && y <= x does not imply that x == y, then Ord has no business
being a subclass of Eq. By your logic, there is absolutely no
constructive subclassing going on here, only an existence proof of (==)
given (<=). What is the rational basis of such an existence claim,
unless == has the obvious meaning?

Or should I take it that you are suggesting we should move Ord up to be
a peer of Eq?

Dan