[Haskell-cafe] Access to Oracle database from Haskell

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Wed Jun 25 14:09:35 EDT 2008

Henning Thielemann wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, John Goerzen wrote:
>
>> I haven't read this entire thread, but I might also just interject here
>> that HDBC supports ODBC (on Windows, and on Linux/Posix platforms via
>> unixODBC, iODBC, or similar), which may be another avenue for you to
>> try.  I'm sure there are ODBC Oracle drivers out there, and so if you
>> have your ODBC layer working, you get Haskell support easily.
>
> This was actually how the thread started: I don't get ODBC for Oracle
> working on Linux. :-(
>   Maybe this is an unixODBC issue - is iODBC an API-compatible replacement?

Yes, iODBC is.  There are also proprietary ODBC implementations.  At
work, we have to deal with Progress databases.  Their ODBC library,
presumably due to being a rather ancient shared library, doesn't work
with unixODBC -- but they ship their entire own ODBC framework, Merant
ODBC.  HDBC compiles against it (though must be modified to not support
wide characters, which Merant ODBC doesn't support).

-- John