[Haskell-cafe] Access to Oracle database from Haskell

Bayley, Alistair Alistair.Bayley at invesco.com
Wed Jun 25 05:24:14 EDT 2008

> From: haskell-cafe-bounces at haskell.org
> [mailto:haskell-cafe-bounces at haskell.org] On Behalf Of
> Henning Thielemann
>
> I don't get an error. sqlplus is in $ORACLE_HOME/bin, but the
> RPM package
> also sets a link from /usr/bin/sqlplus to $ORACLE_HOME/bin,
> thus 'sqlplus'
> is in the $PATH also without $ORACLE_HOME. (But sqlplus
> cannot be started
> until the LD_LIBRARY_PATH is extended to Oracles libraries.)

Ahhh... so Setup.hs thinks sqlplus is in /usr/bin, rather than
$ORACLE_HOME/bin. That explains:
  include-dirs: /usr/oci

I'll have to change the way that Setup.hs tries to find $ORACLE_HOME.
Using getEnv would be a much better idea. I don't recall why I didn't
use it before; perhaps it's not always set on Windows installations.

> > Your $ORACLE_HOME installation looks fairly normal, if somewhat
> > minimal. I would normally expect to see sqlplus, and maybe
> some other
> > executables, like tnsping. And a folder $ORACLE_HOME/oci/include,
> > which contains the OCI header files.
>
> They got installed to:
>    /usr/include/oracle/10.2.0.4/client/
>   That is, they are not in $ORACLE_HOME. :-(

I'm not sure how Setup.hs would find out where these are installed. Any
ideas? It may not matter, as I think you can compile without them. I'd
expect problems if you compile -fvia-C, though.

> >> $ runhaskell Setup.hs configure --user -f oracle
> >> Configuring Takusen-0.8.2...
> >
> > Here, I would expect to see "Using Oracle:
> /usr/lib/oracle/10.2.0.4/client"
>
> It does not tell me. :-(

That is odd.

Alistair
Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this message,
and any attachments, may contain confidential and/or privileged
material. It is intended solely for the person(s) or entity to
which it is addressed. Any review, retransmission, dissemination,
or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is