[Haskell-cafe] Lambda and closures in PHP -- could someone please comment?

PR Stanley prstanley at ntlworld.com
Wed Jun 18 09:42:23 EDT 2008

PR Stanley wrote:

With respect, do you not think it'd be wiser for the community

[snip]

*disgusted*

This is exactly the sort of message that haskell-cafe does not
normally contain. Let's not start now.

This is a civilized mailing list. Either comment on the nice
gentlemen's PHP closure proposal from a language point of view, or
don't say anything.
Paul: Uncivilised you say. Well, I would have thought the civilised
thing would be to share your concerns discretely with the list moderator.

Hmm, I wonder who exactly this "list moderator" is supposed to be. We
are usually adult enough around here to not need someone to look after
us. I think Jules was well entitled to raise his objections about the
tone of your email in public.

Paul: As you say, we "are adult enougharound here to not need someone
to look after us". So I don't need you or any other interfearing
busybody to tell me what I can and can't say on Haskell Cafe. I
expressed an opinion in a tongue-in-cheek way and at the end of my
message expressed in clear terms that those were merely my views.
Now, if you, Jules, Alex or some other  wannabe Hitler have a problem
with my freedom of expression then your best solution is to saddle up
and get the hell out yourselves. This is the wrong place for setting
up your tinpot dictatorship, Doctor!
I am grateful for the help I've been getting from the list and my
understanding of FP has vastly improved since my membership of this
list but I refuse to tolerate bullies who use the list as a way of
lifting themselves out of their own shitty lives. Now I am angry!

Instead you've chosen to make a public show of it.
The Chinese have a saying, and I paraphrase - when you point the
finger of accusation at someone/something you have three pointing
back at yourself.

Well, at least not this finger...

	Paul: you're not making sense.