[Haskell-cafe] Hoogle totally broken?

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 09:44:02 EDT 2008

Hi Richard,

> It'd seem that (at least the online version of) Hoogle is totally broken
>  and useless.

To finish your sentance: "when searching for types with higher-kinded
type classes". In practice, this usually means Monad and occasionally
Functor.

>  ... and so on. (>>=) isn't there at all!?

It is, but its on page 4. That's clearly a bug, and a well known one.

I am currently writing Hoogle 4, details can be found here:
http://neilmitchell.blogspot.com/2008/04/summer-of-code-2008.html

To quote from that page:

<quote>
# Removal of all bugs

Hoogle 3 has a number of embarrassing bugs, some of which are not
easily fixed. The nastiest of these is to do with monads, which are
horribly mistreated. Since I now know the underlying issues which have
caused a problem with Hoogle 3, things like higher-kinded type classes
can be solved in a more principled manner.
</quote>

So try again in 3 months, and the issue will be gone :-)

Thanks

Neil