[Haskell-cafe] Patrick Perry's BLAS package

Andrzej Jaworski himself at poczta.nom.pl
Sat Jun 7 15:08:25 EDT 2008

On Jun 7, 11:21 am, Don Stewart <d... at galois.com> wrote:
> The best thing anyone here can do for haskell is contribute a library.
> The more areas we cover with Haskell code, the easier the path is to
> ongoing development, and a viable, sustainable Haskell world.

Hi Don,
I cannot agree more but:
(1) I doubt that your consistant contribution and sense of
responsibility can be replaced by independent volunteers.
(2) More important than the number of libraries is their maintenance
and accessibility by which I mean not just sufficient documentation
but also reviews with pragmatic suggestions and shared experience
formated into some knoledge base.
(3) Haskell attracts guys that like originality [ like me;-) ] which
is dengerous since building viable programming environment should be a
top down affair. Regular coders are easier to cooperate.

Conclusion: Some coordination effort is inevitable. Complementary
librairs should be chained and updated together like toolboxes in
Matlab, which might encourage writers to dedicate domain specific
articles or a book around them.

Cheers,
-Andrzej Jaworski