[Haskell-cafe] Fw: patch applied (ghc): Remove the OpenGL family of libraries fromextralibs

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Mon Jul 28 06:11:18 EDT 2008

> FYI: Haskell's OpenGL binding has just been dropped from GHC's
> extralibs, which means that it will no longer be kept in sync with GHC
> development, at least not by GHC HQ.
>
> GHC HQ has its hands full and -generally speaking - extralibs are to
> be replaced by H(L)P, the Haskell (Library) Platform:

As someone who uses HOpenGL as a component for my own research, I must
say that I don't entirely follow the logic of dropping it from
extralibs.

I mean, I fully appreciate that ghc-HQ wants to remove extralibs from
its sphere of responsibility.  And I also very much support the new
Haskell Platform idea.

But I did also get the impression that the HP was going to start from
extralibs and build outwards.  I can't see how dropping existing working
and tested libraries from a mini-platform, is any help at all to the new
maintainers of HP.  It is only likely to give grief to users who expect
HOpenGL to be part of HP, and then later more grief to the HP
maintainers when they try to re-integrate it, after allowing it to
suffer a period of bit-rot.

Regards,
    Malcolm