[Haskell-cafe] Libevent FFI problems

Adam Langley agl at imperialviolet.org
Fri Jul 25 16:45:21 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 1:32 PM, Levi Greenspan
<greenspan.levi at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Thank you (and Christopher) for the link. I have one question though -
> I read this ticket in the GHC trac:
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/635 which plans to use
> epoll instead of select. The reason I thought of libevent is exactly
> the support for epoll and other better-than-select mechanisms. Is
> there progress in GHC with regard to this? This is very important for
> me since I awill not write a web-server, but rather want to play with
> Comet (i.e. having thousands of open connections as it is common for
> long-polling in addition to many relatively short request/response
> based connections).

Bryan O'Sullivan make an off-the-cuff remark about doing this work at
a talk a few months back, however I haven't heard anything about him
starting. I think it's safe to assume that no one has taken it up yet.
Personally, some of my other projects are higher priorities at the
moment.

I'd suggest that you write your server on the select() based system
as-is for now. Then, when you need epoll you'll be sufficiently
motivated to hack up the RTS to include it ;)

AGL

--
Adam Langley agl at imperialviolet.org http://www.imperialviolet.org