[Haskell-cafe] CAL (OpenQuark) and enterprise

fero frantisek.kocun at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 16:29:33 EDT 2008

And what if writing new application? Has anybody experience with enterprise
application in functional language? Is it really clearer? I can see a
advantage in using Scala but it doesn't have some features from Haskell or
CAL or requires more code to write. Or better has anybody experience with
the same and functional language for JVM? And what about ORM (e.g.
Hibernate)? And what about objects, they are stateful itself. And CRUD is a
very common part of enterprise applications and I think it's easier in
imperative style (client is declarative of course but it assigns values to
fields). I am interested in ours opinions/experience in business logic (not
any infrastructure or client stuff) for apps such as
accounting/bank/insurance/document management... systems in functional
languages. Sometimes the rules for these kind of apps is more complex that
it seem to be and such systems are maintained for many years (some even
decades) so it needs to be readable. Rule engines are very popularized among
java community now but I think many logic can be expressed clearer in
functions. It is maybe useful for some kind of logic (e.g. calculate price
with discounts) but for what I do I can write the same clearer in java that
in rule engine (and much clearer in Haskell and I am only beginner. What
will come after few years coding;).