[Haskell-cafe] anybody can tell me the pronuncation of "haskell"?

jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr
Tue Jan 29 12:13:52 EST 2008

Tim Chevalier writes:

> ... I think the usual convention is to
> pronounce names in the manner of the language that the person who has
> the name speaks. (Preferably just to pronounce people's names the way
> they say them.)
>
> (The first convention doesn't work with my last name, though the
> second one does.)

Oh, people!
I try hard to degenerate this discussion into a pure delirium traemens, and
you still keep its serious intellectual contents intact! I bet that you
don't even smile, writing your terrible off-topic postings!

If you wish so...
Tim, there cannot be any USUAL CONVENTION, unless you are conditioned by
your anglo-saxon keyboard.

There is no truly established way to translate non-standard diacritics.
Even without, there are pronunciation variants, look how many versions
of "Mustapha" names there are in the world. Try to transmit my family
name to a Japanese, using Katakana (which, being syllabic, gives you many
choices...)
The information world today is far from a purely oral tradition. I think
that the only sane attitude is just let people distort everything as they
wish, and don't get nervous. Those distortions are unavoidable, languages
are evolving creatures.

... And a good part of English has been established by those Francophone
Vikings who won the battle of Hastings in 1066, beginning their campaign
from where I usually live and work.
... Not forgetting that before them there were Danish Vikings, coming from
the place where I sit now...

Arigato gozaimasu.

Jerzy Karczmarczuk.

PS. If you think that "arigato" is a genuine Japanese word, well, check
how the appropriately translated word is spelled in Portuguese...