[Haskell-cafe] Re: anybody can tell me the pronuncation of "haskell"?

Dan Weston westondan at imageworks.com
Mon Jan 28 21:35:09 EST 2008

James Russell wrote:
> Tim Chevalier <catamorphism <at> gmail.com> writes:
>> That is not correct. The second syllable does not rhyme with "fell".
>> In fact, the correct pronunciation sounds like "hassle" with a 'k'
>> inserted between the two syllables of that word.
>
> Exactly.  But am I the only person who has ever seen "Leave It To Beaver"?
> Remember Wally's slightly shady friend Eddie Haskell, who was always getting
> Wally into trouble?
>
> It's pronounced exactly like his name.

This dialog is channeling the writers of the film "Young Frankenstein":

Igor: Dr. Frankenstein...
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: "Fronkensteen."
Igor: You're putting me on.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: No, it's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
Igor: Do you also say "Froaderick"?
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: No...”Frederick."
Igor: Well, why isn't it "Froaderick Fronkensteen"?
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: It isn't; it's "Frederick Fronkensteen."
Igor: I see.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: You must be Igor.
[He pronounces it ee-gor]
Igor: No, it's pronounced "eye-gor."
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: But they told me it was "ee-gor."
Igor: Well, they were wrong then, weren't they?

[Transcript care of http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072431/quotes]