[Haskell-cafe] Re: Draft chapters of "Real World Haskell" now publicly available

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Wed Jan 23 16:57:11 EST 2008

Jon Harrop <jon at ffconsultancy.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 22 January 2008 14:30:22 Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> > Paul Moore wrote:
> > > I'm posting here because there doesn't seem to be an "overall"
> > > comment section, but the TOC seems to cover less ground than I
> > > expected. Is the TOC meant to be complete?
> >
> > No, it's less than a third of the whole thing.
> >
> > Here's the announcement from last May, including a more detailed
> > TOC:
> > http://www.realworldhaskell.org/blog/2007/05/23/real-world-haskell-its-time
> >
> > We've since added a few chapters...
>
> Will there be a chapter on OpenGL?

Please, don't.

With the current state of Haskell's openGL, all you need is the redbook
and a sed command that removes the 3f from vertex3f.

The most innovative feature that I witnessed is preservingMatrix
<io code> instead of pushMatrix(); <io code>; popMatrix();, but then
you could write a C macro to do exactly that. It's the same with
glBegin() and glEnd().

So, please, please, don't.

OTOH, all this vertex3f stuff and the difference between
glBegin(GL_QUAD) and glBegin(GL_POLYGON) is in some way a nice example
of expressing data using monadic composition.

signature prohibited.