[Haskell-cafe] Abstracting ByteStrings

Chad Scherrer chad.scherrer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 18:19:30 EST 2008

A lazy ByteString is an alternative to a String=[Char], where
sacrificing some degree of laziness through "chunks" gives much
greater performance in many applications. If I remember correctly, we
could as well create an IntString, DoubleString, etc by filling the
chunk arrays with different types.

Now, this might only work for primitive types, but couldn't we extend
it by taking a similar approach to NDP? For example, if we have (lazy)
ByteString = [Chunk Char], then we could represent, say [Chunk (a,b)]
as ([Chunk a], [Chunk b]), etc

Is this reasonable? Do you think it would work? Or is all of this
subsumed by fusion anyway?

--

Chad Scherrer

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana" -- Groucho Marx