[Haskell-cafe] Yi and Data.ByteString

Thomas Schilling nominolo at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 21 13:50:02 EST 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 19:12 +0100, Cetin Sert wrote:
> 1) Can anyone tell me how I can build Yi or point me to a binary
> release of that editor?
> I tried to follow the instructions on
> http://www.nobugs.org/developer/yi/building.html but got a missing
> component error each time.

You need ghc-6.8.2, the latest yi from darcs

  darcs get http://code.haskell.org/yi

as well as the latest version of fingertree and vty or gtk.  If you have
further question please use the yi-devel mailing list

Note though, that yi is not ready for regular use, yet.  But, of course,
contributions are accepted anytime.

> 2) When if ever is Data.ByteString going to be the default string
> representation in GHC?

Not anytime soon (if ever).  It's not guaranteed to be faster in any
case, but its generally faster for bigger inputs.

If you're worried about literals, that's not a problem anymore.  You can
just use:

  myErrorMsg = "Oops!" :: ByteString

> I study computational linguistics and plan to switch to Haskell in the
> near future, that is once I get to grips with the language and the
> whole new thought model one has to develop as an imperative
> programmer.

Good luck!