[Haskell-cafe] Re: Data constructors versus types

Peter Verswyvelen bf3 at telenet.be
Thu Jan 17 02:32:58 EST 2008

> ghc --ddump-simpl and assure that your values get unboxed...

I was not really talking about boxed/unboxed values, that's another
issue I think.

What I was talking about is more related to the work of Neil Mitchell
and Colin Runciman in their static checker for pattern matching
http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~ndm/downloads/paper-unfailing_haskell_a_static_checker_for_pattern_matching-24_sep_2005.pdf

For example, if we would have a language that only knows "bits" as
datatype, together with data constructors (tagging the bits):

data Number = Int Bits#32
            | Float Bits#32

(Int x) + (Int y) = Int (primAddInt32 x y)
(Float x) + (Float y) = Int (primAddFloat32 x y)

etc

(1) Would a sufficiently smart compiler be able to eliminate the tagging
overhead at runtime? Answer: yes?

(2) Would such a language be just as statically safe as Haskell? Answer:
I guess so?

(3) What would the complexity of the compiler given a code size? of n?
Answer: O(???)

(4) Would it be possible to create an incremental compiler that would
reduce the complexity from say quadratic to linear or constant? On very
old computers I worked with great incremental C assemblers and linkers,
where the time needed to recompile/relink was mostly proportional to the
amount of changes one did. I guess current compilers are so complex that
making them incremental would be insane?

Thank you,
Peter