[Haskell-cafe] Re: Tim Sweeney (the gamer)

Ketil Malde ketil+haskell at ii.uib.no
Thu Jan 10 15:27:27 EST 2008

"Sebastian Sylvan" <sebastian.sylvan at gmail.com> writes:

> Maybe I'm just lucky, but if we are still talking about the games
> industry I don't think this fits my experience of bosses. Games
> compete very much on performance, and we basically rewrite almost all
> of our code over a few years or so anyway

Another thing is that having the next big game means an incredible
amount of money - more than a Hollywood blockbuster, according to
popular rumor.  Many companies may be willing to take a risk on
promising but immature technology in the hope that it will give them
the advantage they need to deliver the next Halo (or whatever).

Very competitive industry, large money involved, lots of software
rewritten or developed from scratch.  Sounds ideal.  Any boss who
insists on doing things the way they've always done it won't last
long.

-k