[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: hsparklines 0.1.0 - A sparklines implementation in Haskell

Hitesh Jasani hitesh.jasani at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 18:36:08 EST 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 5:05 PM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:
> hitesh.jasani:
>

> > Sparklines are small, word sized graphs that can be interspersed with
>  > text to provide context and enhance communication.  There are
>  > implementations in many languages and even some web services that will
>  > generate them on the fly.  I was looking for a Haskell solution and
>  > finding none, wrote my own.
>  >
>  > * http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/hsparklines-0.1.0
>  > * http://www.jasani.org/2008/02/initial-release-of-hsparklines-010.html
>  >
>  > On a side note, while writing my blog entry I decided to generate a
>  > sparkline for the number of uploads to hackage.  If it's any
>  > indication, the Haskell community is growing by leaps and bounds.
>  >
>  > - Hitesh
>
>  Lovely work!
>
>  Is there a darcs repository available for the source? (Or would you
>  like to host it on hackage?)
>
>  Also, how did you generate the month-by-month data for hackage uploads?
>
>  -- Don

Sorry, there's no darcs repo.  Hosting it on hackage might be
interesting, but finding the time to learn how to do it is kind of
tough for me right now.  I guess it depends on whether others want to
contribute code to it.

I took the raw data off of the main page
(http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/log) and wrote some quick
and dirty Haskell to parse and process it.  Basically I counted an
upload as a unique event -- it didn't matter to me whether it was a
bug fix upload on an existing project or a new project.  The way I
looked at it, each upload represented people contributing to the
community.

- Hitesh