[Haskell-cafe] haskellwiki and Project Euler

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Sat Feb 23 18:01:42 EST 2008

Hi all,
I try not to be too rude, although I'm rather disgusted.
I know there are several sites out on the web where solutions to PE problems
are given. That is of course absolutely against the sporting spirit of
Project Euler, but hey, not all people are sporting.
I've found http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Euler_problems irritating for a
while, but wasn't overly annoyed by it while it only contained code for
solving a few dozen problems.
Today I learnt that it now contains code for all problems.
Really bad!

On top of that, the code for many problems isn't even Haskell, but C, WTF!
Other code was submitted without consent of the author, copied from the PE
fora, which are restricted access and so, even if perhaps not legally, but in
spirit, do not fall under the legitimate resources for haskellwiki:
"You are also promising us that you wrote this yourself, or copied it from a
public domain or similar free resource. DO NOT SUBMIT COPYRIGHTED WORK
WITHOUT PERMISSION!"

To make matters worse still, there was a page containing nothing but the
answers. That was changed, but Cale chose to reintroduce that crap.
I just removed it again. Your turn, Cale.

I call on the Haskell community to vote for immediate removal of these pages
from the wiki!
Show that you're a sporting bunch.

Daniel Fischer