[Haskell-cafe] hackage, gtk2hs

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Wed Dec 24 20:27:09 EST 2008

Am Dienstag, den 23.12.2008, 21:31 +0100 schrieb Cetin Sert:
> A package I want to upload only builds with the unreleased gtk2hs
> version from the darcs repository and not the latest released version
> 0.9.13 or any lesser. But the repository version seems to not have
> changed, so if I say in my cabal file:
> gtk >= 0.9.14
> it does not even build with the gtk2hs version from the repos, on the
> other hand
> if I say:
> gtk >= 0.9.13
> people using 0.9.13 may be surprised to see the package does not
> build.
> What should I do o__O? Wait for the next gtk2hs release before
> releasing my package? Or is there a way to notify _potential
> users/those interested_ of the need to use the latest gtk2hs they can
> get from the darcs repos.

I’d say, if your dependency hasn’t released yet, then you shouldn’t
either. Make sure interested people know about _your_ darcs repository,
but only put stuff on hackage that builds.

Alternatively, put gtk >= 0.9.14 in the dependency, which is correct
(although too strict), and tell people to lower it locally _after_ they
have installed gtk2hs from darcs. Once gtk2hs is released, your package
is already there.

Correct dependencies are better than general dependencies.

(all just my opinion, of course)

Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
  mail: mail at joachim-breitner.de | ICQ# 74513189 | GPG-Key: 4743206C
  JID: nomeata at joachim-breitner.de | http://www.joachim-breitner.de/