[Haskell-cafe] Time for a new logo?

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 17 16:31:23 EST 2008

Jonathan Cast wrote:
>> {-# LANGUAGE ExistentialQuantification #-}
>>
>> Hmm, now if this was Perl or something, that would be
>> HiddenTypeVariables or something. Much less fearsom-sounding.
>>

> No, it's cute.  Repulsively so.

Right. So giving things meaningful names is "repulsive"? No wonder
Haskell has a reputation for being incomprehensible...

>> At any rate, if we're to have a logo, let's not have one which actively
>> *promotes* the notion that Haskell is complex and difficult and that
>> only theoretical physicists need apply...
>>

> I'd like to hold out, again, for the idea that we get a higher-quality
> community by promoting that notion.

In other words, you want to keep Haskell elitist. Well, if that's what
the community in general wants, then fine. Personally, I strongly
disagree with this snobbish point of view. But I am only one voice...