[Haskell-cafe] Fram

Haakon Meland Eriksen haakon.eriksen at far.no
Wed Dec 10 14:05:00 EST 2008

Dear Haskell community,

It was kindly suggested to me by John Peterson that I might reach you here and tell you a little bit about Fram, a small Mediawiki extension.

Fram lets you intersperse your explanation with actual code, and then Fram extracts and concatenates the code, giving you a file with code for download.
This means anyone with access to Fram can improve your code, either by explaining it or by enhancing the code itself. It is released under the GNU GPL version 3 at no cost.

Fram is now at version 0.2, and equals the Mediawiki extension RawFile 0.2, written by Belgian developer Philippe Teuwen. Phil and I are collaborating to improve Fram into a fully fledged literate programming tool like "noweb" written by Norman Ramsey. It was originally Ramsey who suggested to me that Fram may be interesting to the Haskell community wiki, so here we are.

If this sounds useful, please have a look at

or go below the main-deck into the cabins to explore the articles

and if these don't make sense, have a look at our help page

If you are curious about the name, "Fram" is also the name of a famous ship used by Norwegian polar explorers in the last century. It means "Forward".

Yours sincerely,
Haakon Meland Eriksen