[Haskell-cafe] Can't cabal install readline

Martijn van Steenbergen martijn at van.steenbergen.nl
Fri Dec 5 16:10:39 EST 2008

Hello,

This week I upgraded to GHC 6.10 using the .pkg installer. It installed
without a single hiccup -- thanks!

I've noticed two odd things: the standard library haddock that comes
with the installer doesn't have links to the hs-coloured sources anymore
(and neither does the online documentation); I miss that a lot. I also
can't Ctrl+R anymore in GHCi to search my command history. But I can
learn to live without those.

Another minor inconvenience is that the packages I had installed (using
  cabal) are no longer available to GHC -- I think I will have to
reinstall them. But I cannot continue working on my Yogurt project
anymore, because it depends on readline, which fails to build:

<snip>
checking for rl_readline_version... yes
checking for rl_begin_undo_group... no
configure: error: readline not found, so this package cannot be built
See `config.log' for more details.
Yogurt-0.2 depends on readline-1.0.1.0 which failed to install.
readline-1.0.1.0 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
exit: ExitFailure 1

The build failure mentions config.log which I cannot find anywhere on my
system. I have readline installed using MacPorts without problems, and
the cabal package worked fine too on the previous version of GHC. I'm on
Intel Leopard.

How can I get cabal install readline to succeed on the new GHC?

Thanks much,

Martijn.