sending email via gmail Re: [Haskell-cafe] Sending email from a Haskell program

Thomas Hartman tphyahoo at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 15:39:14 EST 2008

I ran into this problem when I wanted to send email from a HAppS web
app, routing it through gmail. There actually used to be an SMTP
client in HAppS but it was dropped a while ago.

The most common workaround appears to be, just use sendmail. But I
couldn't figure out a way to get sendmail to interface with gmail. (I
think there is a way, there are blogs on it, I just wasn't patient
enough to follow the directions.)

What I finally did is, I have successfully followed the instructions in

http://www.ericstockwell.com/?p=3

to send myself email from the command line. So I will probably use HSH
to run shell commands in my haskell web apps, to send email.

This process only took a few minutes, and seemed easier than the
postfix/sendmail solutions I came across.

Of course, this only works in unixy environments.

thomas.