[Haskell-cafe] agda v. haskell

Jeff Polakow jeff.polakow at db.com
Fri Sep 28 12:55:23 EDT 2007

Hello,

  Agda is essentially an implementation of a type checker for Martin-Lof
type theory (i.e. dependent types).

  It is designed to be used as a proof assistant. Roughly speaking
propositions are represented as types and a proof of a proposition is a
well-typed, total and terminating function. Agda has machinery to help you
fill in cases and generally make proof construction easier.

  Agda is different from Haskell in that Agda has dependent types and
machinery for interactively constructing the definition of a function at a
given type.

  Agda is also different from Haskell in that the focus is on the user
interface and writing the proof/program itself, rather than on executing
the resulting code (i.e. little work has gone into compiling Agda code).

  I think there have been several projects scattered around on generating
Haskell from Agda and on importing Haskell code into Agda for formal
verification.

-Jeff

haskell-cafe-bounces at haskell.org wrote on 09/28/2007 11:41:41 AM:

> dons has been posting some links regarding agda on reddit. fairly
> interesting, a quick glance and you think you are reading haskell
> code.
>
> does anyone have any insights on the major differences in these
> languages?

---

e-mail is strictly forbidden.