[Haskell-cafe] agda v. haskell

Dan Doel dan.doel at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 12:47:50 EDT 2007

On Friday 28 September 2007, brad clawsie wrote:
> dons has been posting some links regarding agda on reddit. fairly
> interesting, a quick glance and you think you are reading haskell
> code.
>
> does anyone have any insights on the major differences in these
> languages?

I'm not too familiar with Agda, but I believe it's one of the dependently
typed functional languages/theorem provers that more and more people are
growing interested in these days. If you want to know what all that sort of
hype is about, you might want to read Why Dependent Types Matter [1] by the
Epigram folks, which does a pretty good job explaining what you might want
them for.

Or, if you want an even shorter explanation, imagine the sort of type-system
programming that Oleg does, and then imagine languages that attempt to make
that sort of thing as easy as the ordinary programming you do (or, get it
closer to there, at least).

-- Dan

[1]: http://e-pig.org/downloads/ydtm.pdf